Droylsden was built in 1927 by Sid and Clara Smith after they sold their farm in Dooen North. Sid and Clara had three children: Joan, Enid and Sid. Sid and Clara lived in Droylsden until just after World War 11 when they moved to Geelong.
This Landmark building has since been used variously as a private home, dentist surgery (with the addition of the annex), and architect’s office. From 1987 until 2006 it was home to Goolum Goolum Aboriginal Cooperative.
Droylsden was then empty for three years and suffered extensive damage through vandalism. It was subsequently purchased and renovated by the current owners and is an Allied Health Clinic.
Droylsden was named after a town within the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside, in Greater Manchester, England. Droylsden is situated about seven kilometres to the east of Manchester city centre, and has a population of some 23,000.
Historically a part of Lancashire, Droylsden grew as a mill town around the cotton mills established in the mid-19th century, and the Ashton and Peak Forest canals.
The Droylsden Urban District Council’s Coat of Arms incorporates the Arms of the Byron family (to which the famous poet Lord Byron belonged) who were Lords of the Manor of Droylsden.